<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Creed plays Maxwell's 


I should be seeing Ted Leo right this second, but I came home early instead. It was a nice benefit for a good cause at Rothko tonight, but the bands were running an hour and a half behind, and I need to catch up on my beauty sleep. The Head Set were great as usual (disclosure: I work with two of them at my day job, and one of the other two also used to work there), and Apollo Sunshine, who I had not heard before, were also pretty cool.


The coolest thing of the night, though, was the conversation going on among three teenagers (two guys, one girl) sitting behind me on the bus back to Hoboken. I only caught the last couple minutes because I was listening to my iPod, but they were talking about music, and I couldn't help but see a bit of my teenage self in them. "Did you hear Creed got back together?" said one of them. There were sounds of dismay. "But come on," the kid continued, "if Creed played Maxwell's, wouldn't you go? I mean, just to see who goes to a Creed show?" Talk segued into Maxwell's, and that Unwritten Law had recently played there. And for some reason, the topic of the first Lollapalooza came up. "Yeah, cause who was it," the kid began, "Anthrax, Ice-T..."

That's when I turned around to drop some knowledge. "First Lollapalooza?" "Yeah." "I was there," I announced. "Jane's Addiction," I said as I began counting with my fingers, "Ice-T, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Nine Inch Nails, Butthole Surfers, Rollins Band." I admit that I left out Living Colour; it's late and I'm exhausted.

I don't know if the kids were impressed or just thought I was weird, but the episode gave me some little glimmer of hope about these kids today...

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?