<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, January 20, 2005

I'm So Bored With The U.S.A. 


To take my mind off Bush II: The Wrath Of Khan, I stumbled on this poll, courtesy of Michelangelo Matos' fine blog. Choose your 50 favorites from the list of 999 U.K. number one songs. But don't be rude; do it quickly. If you want your vote counted, lists are due at 7 p.m. EST tonight.

Here's what I came up with on the fly. It may be worth noting that if I had made this list six months ago, two of the top 10—"Dreadlock Holiday" and "Happy Talk"—would not have made the top 50. Those happen to be two of my five or so most-listened to songs of the last few months, and wouldn't you know it, they were U.K. number ones.

1. Glad All Over - The Dave Clark Five
2. She Loves You - The Beatles
3. Don't You Want Me - The Human League
4. A Town Called Malice/Precious - The Jam
5. Dreadlock Holiday - 10cc
6. Make It Easy On Yourself - The Walker Brothers
7. I Feel Love - Donna Summer
8. Happy Talk - Captain Sensible
9. Brass In Pocket - The Pretenders
10. The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore - The Walker Brothers

11. Tears Of A Clown - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles
12. I'm Not In Love - 10cc
13. It's Not Unusual - Tom Jones
14. Je T'Aime...Moi Non Plus - Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg
15. Ashes To Ashes - David Bowie
16. A Hard Day's Night - The Beatles
17. I Feel Fine - The Beatles
18. Maggie May - Rod Stewart
19. Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor
20. Sunny Afternoon - The Kinks

21. Atomic - Blondie
22. Don't Go Breaking My Heart - Elton John & Kiki Dee
23. Concrete And Clay - Unit Four Plus Two
24. Sugar Sugar - The Archies
25. West End Girls - Pet Shop Boys
26. Good Vibrations - The Beach Boys
27. Wannabe - Spice Girls
28. Band Of Gold - Freda Payne
29. Reach Out I'll Be There - The Four Tops
30. Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick - Ian Dury & The Blockheads

31. Cars - Gary Numan
32. Space Oddity - David Bowie
33. I Feel For You - Chaka Khan
34. I'm A Believer - The Monkees
35. The Ballad Of John & Yoko - The Beatles
36. Something Stupid - Frank & Nancy Sinatra
37. Heart Of Glass - Blondie
38. Hey Jude - The Beatles
39. Going Underground / Dreams Of Children - The Jam
40. Without You - Nilsson

41. I've Gotta Get A Message To You - The Bee Gees
42. Da Ya Think I'm Sexy - Rod Stewart
43. Merry Xmas Everybody - Slade
44. True - Spandau Ballet
45. Needles & Pins - The Searchers
46. Go Now - The Moody Blues
47. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
48. Can't Get You Out Of My Head - Kylie Minogue
49. Jumping Jack Flash - The Rolling Stones
50. Shakin' All Over - Johnny Kidd & The Pirates


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?