<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, March 04, 2005

Hoboken Rock City - Show #1 - Notes 


I Want To Break Your Heart – PETER HOLSAPPLE & CHRIS STAMEY
Mavericks, RNA, 1991 (Out of print)
Straight outta the rock city. I said on the show that Stamey and Holsapple were founding members of the definitive '80s Hoboken power-pop band, The dB's. Actually, Stamey was a founder but Holsapple joined later. Holsapple did continue to lead the band after Stamey exited. The two ex-dB's reunited for this one brilliant album as a duo, recorded at Water Music in Hoboken.

Radio – PITTY SING
Pitty Sing, Or, 2005
"Radio" is one of the many highlights of their self-titled debut album, which came out in January. The song was also on their late 2004 EP Demons, You Are The Stars In Cars ‘Til I Die. My favorite song of 2004.

Half Worth Having – SMART BROWN HANDBAG
The Big Sigh, Stonegarden, 2004
Great tune from the eighth album by the criminally overlooked California band. Another screw-up I made for posterity on my inaugural show: I said they were from the San Francisco area; they're actually from L.A. The album is available at cdbaby.com.

Walking To Do – TED LEO & THE PHARMACISTS
Shake The Sheets, Lookout!, 2004
The wizard of Bloomfield, N.J.

---

JERSEY ROCK CITY SET
Jersey to the core.

Phantom Power – RENO’S MEN
Step Up To The Stereo Slider, no label, 2005
Also from the Bloomfield area, but via Scotland. New release from one of my favorite live bands ever. Get it at CD Baby.

The Night Bus – TRIS MCCALL
Shootout At The Sugar Factory, Melody Lanes, 2003
The dean of the Jersey scene.

Siren Song – CRAYON ROSARY
Crayon Rosary, XOXO, 2004
Wonderful twee pop duo from New Brunswick. EP released by Bayonne's XOXO Records.

Given The Reasons – HUMA
Huma, no label, 2003
Another great band from New Brunswick, another self-titled EP. Coed trio. Read the Hoboken Rock City interview.

Ah, Sugar – SPIRALING
Challenging Stage, no label, 2004
Dunellen's Tom Brislin is a genius songwriter and a gifted keyboardist who has even been a touring member of Yes. Power pop and prog live on in Jersey.

---

Future Sightings – I AM THE WORLD TRADE CENTER
The Cover Up, Gammon, 2004
Coed duo from Athens, Georgia. Read my chat with the band's Dan Geller.

Heartbeat – ANNIE
Anniemal, 679/Vice, 2004
Norwegian dance-pop heaven. I said she was from Sweden on the broadcast, because until recently I kept forgetting that she was. That, and the fact that I'm a dope. I'd had a really long day before recording the show Tuesday night. Anniemal will finally get U.S. release later this year on Vice.

We Feel Good (Future’s Looking Fine) – ENDGAMES
single, Phonogram/Mercury, 1982 (Out of print)
British new wave manna produced by John Leckie.

---

Two Lights – THE ALUMINUM GROUP
Happyness, Wishing Tree, 2002.
John & Frank Navin, the brothers from Chicago. All the background music in this edition of the show is also by them, from their 2002 Happyness instrumental tour CD. Read my 1999 and 2002 interviews with them.

One Foot In The Grave – PERNICE BROTHERS
Yours, Mine & Ours, Ashmont, 2003.
Some lighthearted existential angst to bring it all home.

---

You can see me spin live at The Goldhawk, at 936 Park Avenue (corner of 10th Street) in Hoboken. I'll be there every Saturday night in March, rocking from 10 p.m. till last call.

Thank you: Pat Pierson, Tris McCall, Fran Azzarto, Erin at Lookout Records, David at Yep Roc, William Paris, John and Frank Navin, Dan Geller, Dina at Wildfire Publicity, Huma, Crayon Rosary, Mr. Jim Murphy, David Steinhardt, Shirley Halperin, Joyce Linehan, DJ Timmah.

And thanks to all the artists, labels, managers, publicists, and friends of musicians who have helped me obtain permission to play music that is not featured on this first edition of the show. There's so much more rock to come.

Got a comment on the show? Submit it here.

P.S. In my sign off I intended to say, "Keep on rockin' in the free world, or what's left of it." But I was so tired by the time I was recording the end of the show that what lazily slipped out of my mouth was "...or what's left to it." Next time, I hope to get more sleep the night before doing a show.

P.P.S. The wonderful iPod Lounge has probably the best, easiest to understand article I've read so far about podcasting. If you've read any of the previous podcast links I've posted and found them confusing, I encourage you to try this one by Alicia Bankhofer.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?